Total Time: 20 Minutes
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 2 small cloves garlic finely diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 8 inch flour tortillas
- Butter for toasting
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend
- Pico de gallo
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato diced
- 1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- About 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Prepare the Pico:
- In a medium bowl, combine tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper (to taste,) cilantro and Juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until ready to use.
Cooking the Beef:
- In a large skillet, cook onions over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until golden and soft; add garlic and cook for only 1 minute.
- Add ground beef, cook until no longer pink.
- Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in tomato paste, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Cook over medium-low heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Heat another skillet to medium-low heat. Brush pan with butter.
- Place large tortilla over pan. On one half on top of the tortilla, add a layer of ground beef and a layer of pico de gallo, sprinkle with cheese.
- With a spatula fold the half of the tortilla without the meat mixture over the half with the meat mixture and press down.
- Cook until the bottom has browned and the cheese has melted. Remove from the pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve with more pico, salsa, sour-cream, or guacamole.