Columbia Beef Empanadas
Total Time: 45 Minutes
- 1lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, well drained
- 1box of refrigerated pie crusts, softened
- 1/2cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in chili powder, salt and tomatoes. Remove from heat.
- On ungreased large cookie sheet, unroll pie crusts. Spoon about 2 cups beef mixture onto half of each crust, spreading to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top each with 1/4 cup cheese.
- Brush edge of each crust with beaten egg. Fold untopped half of each crust over filling; press edge with fork to seal. Cut slits in several places in top of each; brush with beaten egg.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into wedges to serve.